Connect with us

Economic

Bank of Israel slows interest rate pace by up half a point. By Reuters

Avatar

Published

on


© Reuters. Photo: The Bank of Israel building in Jerusalem on June 16, 2020. REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun

Written by Stephen Scheer and Ari Rabinowitz

JERUSALEM (Reuters) – The Bank of Israel on Monday raised its benchmark interest rate by half a point, the sixth consecutive meeting it has raised interest rates, citing inflation above 5%, strong economic growth and a tightening labor market.

The central bank raised its main interest rate to 3.25% – the highest level since September 2011 – from 2.75%. In April, policymakers began aggressively raising the rate from 0.1%.

However, after two consecutive increases of three-quarters of a point in August and October, the central bank opted for half a point this month.

Advertisement

The central bank said, “The Israeli economy is recording strong economic activity, accompanied by a narrow labor market and an increase in the inflationary environment.”

He added that “the (monetary) committee decided to continue the process of raising the interest rate,” and the future pace will be determined by economic growth and inflation data.

Israel’s annual inflation rate rose to 5.1% in October from 4.6% in September and was close to a 14-year high of 5.2% in July – well above the government’s annual target range of 1%-3% and fueling public anger over the rise in inflation. The standard of living. costs.

However, the central bank indicated that inflation expectations within a year were within the target range.

At the same time, the Israeli economy grew at an annual rate of 2.1% in the third quarter from the second quarter, slower than the 7.3% pace in the previous three months. On Monday, official data showed that Israel’s unemployment rate rose to 4.3% in October from 3.9% in September.

Advertisement

The Bank of Israel expects the economy to grow 6% in 2022, and growth to slow to 3% next year.

After his interest rate decision in early October, Bank Governor Amir Yaron told Reuters he saw interest rates peak at “+3 percent” in a sign that the tightening cycle is coming to an end.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Economic

Exclusive: Canada’s largest pension plan, CPPI, is ending the pursuit of cryptocurrency investing

Avatar

Published

on


© Reuters. FILE PHOTO: A representation of bitcoin is seen in front of a stock chart in this illustration taken on May 19, 2021. REUTERS/Dado Ruvik/File Photo

Written by Divya Rajagopal

TORONTO (Reuters) – Canada’s largest pension fund, CBB Investments, has ended its efforts to study investment opportunities in the volatile cryptocurrency market, two people familiar with the matter told Reuters.

The reasons behind CPPI’s abandonment of cryptocurrency research were not immediately clear. CPPI declined to comment but said it has not made direct investments in cryptocurrency. He pointed to previous comments on cryptocurrency by its CEO, John Graham, in which he sounded cautionary.

The people added that CPPI’s Alpha Generation Lab, which studies emerging investment trends, put together a three-member team in early 2021 to research cryptocurrency and blockchain-related businesses, with a view to potential exposure.

Advertisement

But sources said CPPI gave up the chase this year and redeployed the team to other regions.

CPPI’s move also comes as two of Canada’s largest pension funds have divested their investments following the collapse of cryptocurrency exchange FTX and cryptocurrency lender Celsius, which collapsed this year.

Earlier this year, CPPI CEO Graham said the pension plan, which manages C$529 billion ($388 billion) for nearly 20 million Canadians, did not want to invest in digital currencies simply for fear of missing out.

“You really want to think about the intrinsic value of some of these assets and build your portfolio accordingly,” Graham said in a June speech. “So I’d say crypto is something that we keep looking at and trying to understand, but we haven’t really invested in.”

It was not clear when CPPI dropped its plan. One source said the team was actively evaluating investment opportunities in late July this year, but the second source said the team finished its work earlier than that.

Advertisement

Details of CPPI’s quest to invest in cryptocurrency and its decision to end it were not previously reported.

The sources declined to be identified because the information was not made public.

Canadian pension funds’ exposure to the cryptocurrency sector has come under scrutiny in the aftermath of the FTX debacle. While Canadian pension funds are not prohibited from buying cryptocurrencies, they are known for risk-averse investment strategies to generate steady returns for retirees.

While CPPI has avoided investments in cryptocurrencies, some of its peers have been caught up in the chaos of the sector this year. The Ontario Teachers’ Pension Fund (OTPP), which oversees approximately C$242 billion in assets, has written off its C$95 million investment in FTX. OTPP said it was “disappointed” with its investment in FTX.

Earlier this year, Canada’s second largest pension fund, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ), said it had canceled its C$150 million investment in bankrupt crypto lending firm Celsius. CDPQ has initiated legal action against Celsius in Bankruptcy Court.

Advertisement

The Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS), which manages C$121 billion, made three allocations to crypto-related companies through the business of OMERS Ventures between 2012 and 2018, but exited all investments in 2020.

Another Canadian pension fund, OP Trust, told Reuters it has investments in the offshore digital asset fund space. She said the investment in core encryption technology.

($1 = 1.3650 Canadian dollars)

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Economic

Argentina urges the European Union to renegotiate a South American trade agreement

Avatar

Published

on

Argentina’s President Alberto Fernandez has called on the European Union to renegotiate a landmark trade deal with South America, saying the agreement is unbalanced and a threat to the auto industries of Brazil and Argentina.

Fernandez told Financial Times’s Global Boardroom Conference.

Asked how long this process might take, he said, “As long as the parties want to. It’s like tango. The tango is danced by a couple, you need both of them to want to tango, otherwise it’s very difficult.”

The trade deal between the EU and the Mercosur bloc – Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay – was agreed in principle in 2019 after nearly two decades of haggling. But its conclusion has been shelved amid European objections to Brazil’s poor record of preserving the Amazon rainforest under far-right President Jair Bolsonaro.

Advertisement

The election in October of Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who has pledged to preserve the Amazon, to succeed Bolsonaro, raising hopes that a long-awaited deal between the EU and Mercosur might gain final approval. Spain’s trade minister, Xiana Mendez, told the Financial Times last month that she believed he would support the agreement. “It’s very balanced,” she said. We do not support reopening negotiations.

But Fernandez told the Financial Times conference that the environment “isn’t why we don’t get the agreement, it’s an excuse”.

The real reason is that for Brazil and Argentina [as] Car producers, the only car producers in South America, this agreement is problematic because it makes things difficult for us if European competition reaches South America,” he said.

At the same time, he added, South American countries faced a “burden of hurdles” in selling their agricultural exports to Europe, with countries such as France, Ireland and Poland opposing ending agricultural subsidies and allowing competition from Argentina.

“Neither I nor Lula are against the agreement with the European Union,” Fernandez said. You have to keep in mind what this agreement is, because this agreement has problems. . . related to market imbalances.

Advertisement

While the debate over the long-stalled trade agreement with Europe continues, Argentina is striking deals with China, its second largest trading partner after Brazil. Beijing last month agreed to expand a swap facility with Argentina’s central bank to $25 billion, which helps boost the South American country’s meager foreign reserves.

China has also built a space monitoring station in the Patagonian province of Neuquen, which the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington says is Works with little Argentinian supervision It can be used to gather military intelligence.

Fernandez rejected the argument Argentina Need to choose between the United States and China, saying that he does not wish to recreate the Cold War era. “Argentina has to do what works best for Argentina,” he said. “The US is very concerned about what China might do in Latin America but China could do . . . just like the US could do in Latin America, they could come and invest.”

Argentina is building a naval base at Ushuaia in southern Patagonia to support ships patrolling the South Atlantic and Antarctica, but Fernandez called “fictional” news reports that China was involved. He said, “There is no such thing.” “In Argentina you cannot have Chinese, American or French military bases . . . because we are a sovereign country.”

The South American country faces dire economic challenges, with inflation approaching 100 percent annually, access to international financial markets largely cut off after a default in 2020, and exchange controls that have pushed dollars on the black market to nearly double the level. the official.

Advertisement

Fernandez said the Argentine economy was “strange” because, despite high inflation and “unpayable” levels of debt, the country also had record levels of foreign investment and exports in the first half of the year, unemployment was low and consumption was increasing.

“If you cling to the image of an inflated Argentina . . . of an indebted Argentina, you will say Argentina is a mess,” Fernandez said. “But there is also all this data that points to sustainable growth and huge potential.”

He said the solution to the longstanding economic problems of this South American country is to add value to its goods. “Argentina must stop being an exporter of raw materials and become an industrialized country.”

Argentina holds presidential and congressional elections next October, and opinion polls show Fernandez’s Peronist party trailing the conservative opposition. The president has said in the past that he would like to run again but that his approval ratings are low, and he told the Financial Times conference that he was “totally immersed” in governance.

His powerful vice president, Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, said on Tuesday she would not run again Convicted of corruptiona ruling against which she plans to appeal.

Advertisement

“I’m not thinking of re-election, believe me,” said President Fernandez. I think how to solve all these problems[of the country]. . . I want to finish my tenure having seeded Argentina with opportunities for the person who will succeed me.”

Additional reporting by Andy Pounds in Brussels

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Economic

Renault says executive vice president Delpos has resigned, according to Reuters

Avatar

Published

on


© Reuters. FILE PHOTO: A Renault logo is pictured in a shop in Vertou, near Nantes, France, January 17, 2022. REUTERS/Stephane Mahe/File Photo

PARIS (Reuters) – President of the French automaker Renault The company said on Wednesday that its new mobility unit Mobilize (EPA:) and group executive vice president Clotilde Delbos have both resigned.

Renault said Delpos would leave at the end of December, without giving a reason for her departure. The company said in a statement that Phaedra Ribeiro will be named CEO of Mobiliz while Patrick Claude, Group Chief Financial Services Officer, will take on the role of Delbus on a temporary basis at Renault Financial subsidiary RCI Banque.

Delbos joined Renault in 2012 as group controller and was a seasoned executive who helped transition between former boss Carlos Ghosn, who was arrested in Tokyo in 2018 on financial misconduct charges, and current CEO Luca de Meo, who took over in the summer of 2018. Past. 2020.

Delbos, who also served as Renault’s chief financial officer between 2016 and early 2022, pitched herself in to take over as CEO before the board decided to call the outsider de Meo.

Advertisement

Renault is in the middle of a major and complex overhaul that will see it spin off its businesses into five companies, deepen ties with China’s Geely and spin off the electric car unit with a stock market listing next year.

Shares of the automaker briefly fell after Delbos’ departure was first reported by a Le Monde reporter on Twitter but then recovered to close a touch higher.

Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending